Speaking is one of main core of leaning English. Nowadays everyone wants to speak English like a native. There is a lot of ways to improve your speaking skills.
1. Find a Language Exchange Partner
One of the ways to improve your speaking skills is you must find a partner to speak. You can find a language exchange partner through language exchange websites or apps like Tandem, HelloTalk, Conversation Exchange, etc. This will give you the opportunity to practice speaking with a native speaker who is also learning your language.
To find a language exchange partner, you can follow these steps:
- Choose a language exchange website or app: There are many language exchange websites and apps available, such as Tandem, HelloTalk, Conversation Exchange, etc. Choose one that suits your needs and preferences.
- Create a profile: Once you have chosen a website or app, create a profile and specify the language you want to learn and the language you can offer in exchange.
- Search for a partner: Use the search function on the website or app to find a language exchange partner who matches your preferences. You can filter by language, location, age, gender, and interests.
- Initiate contact: When you find a potential language exchange partner, send them a message introducing yourself and asking if they would be interested in practicing together. Be polite and respectful.
- Schedule a conversation: Once you have established contact, schedule a time to have a conversation. You can use video chat, voice chat, or messaging, depending on your preferences.
- Practice regularly: Make sure to practice regularly with your language exchange partner. Set a schedule that works for both of you and stick to it. You can practice speaking, writing, listening, and reading skills, depending on what you want to focus on.
Remember, a language exchange partnership is a two-way street. Make sure to offer your partner help with the language they want to learn as well, and be open to correcting each other’s mistakes.
2. Join an Online Language Class
Join an online language class is one of the ways improve your speaking skills. To join an online language class, you can follow these steps:
- Determine your language level: Before you start searching for an online language class, determine your language level. This will help you find a class that is suitable for your needs. You can take a language proficiency test or self-assess your language skills.
- Research language schools or online tutors: There are many language schools and online tutors that offer online language classes. Research different options and read reviews from other students to find a reputable and reliable provider.
- Choose a class that suits your needs: Once you have found a few language schools or tutors that you are interested in, choose a class that suits your needs. Consider factors such as class size, schedule, teaching methods, and price.
- Register for the class: Once you have chosen a class, register for it. You may need to create an account on the language school or tutor’s website and provide payment information.
- Attend the class: Attend the online language class at the scheduled time. Make sure you have a stable internet connection, a headset, and a webcam if required. Participate actively in the class and practice your speaking skills as much as possible.
- Practice outside of class: To maximize the benefits of the online language class, practice outside of class as well. Review the class materials, practice speaking with a language partner, and use online resources to supplement your learning.
Remember, consistent practice is key to improving your language skills. Make sure to attend the class regularly and practice as much as possible outside of class.
3. Watch Videos and Listen to podcasts
Watching videos and listening to podcasts is one of the ways to improve your speaking skills. To improve your speaking skills by watching videos and listening to podcasts in the language you want to learn, you can follow these steps:
- Choose videos and podcasts that interest you: Choose videos and podcasts that are interesting and engaging to you. This will help you stay motivated and focused while you practice.
- Listen actively: Listen actively to the videos and podcasts. Try to understand as much as possible, take note of new vocabulary, and pay attention to the speakers’ pronunciation, intonation, and rhythm.
- Repeat after the speakers: Pause the video or podcast and repeat after the speakers. This will help you practice your pronunciation and intonation.
- Transcribe and translate: Transcribe the video or podcast and translate it into your native language. This will help you practice your listening and reading comprehension, as well as your writing skills.
- Use subtitles: Use subtitles in the language you want to learn or in your native language, depending on your language level. This will help you understand the content better and learn new vocabulary.
- Practice speaking with a partner: Find a language exchange partner or a tutor and practice speaking with them. Use the vocabulary and expressions you learned from the videos and podcasts to practice your speaking skills.
Remember, consistency is key when it comes to improving your speaking skills. Make sure to practice regularly and use a variety of resources to supplement your learning.
read more : Tips Lancar Berbahasa Inggris
4. Practice Speaking with Yourself
Practicing speaking with yourself can be a helpful technique to improve your speaking skills in a language. Here are some tips to get started:
- Choose a topic: Choose a topic that interests you or that you want to practice speaking about. This can be anything from your hobbies and interests to current events or topics related to your studies.
- Speak out loud: Practice speaking out loud, even if you feel a bit self-conscious at first. Speaking aloud will help you get used to the sound of your own voice and help you identify any areas that need improvement.
- Record yourself: Record yourself speaking about the topic. This will allow you to listen back to your speech and identify any mistakes or areas that need improvement.
- Practice pronunciation: Focus on practicing your pronunciation of specific words or sounds that you find challenging. Record yourself pronouncing these words or sounds, and listen back to identify areas that need improvement.
- Use different tenses: Practice using different tenses and sentence structures to improve your grammar and sentence construction skills.
- Use a mirror: Practice speaking in front of a mirror so that you can observe your facial expressions and body language. This can help you improve your nonverbal communication skills.
Remember, practicing speaking with yourself is just one technique to improve your speaking skills. Make sure to also practice with other people, such as language exchange partners or tutors, to get feedback and practice speaking in a more natural setting.
5. Join Online Language Communities
Joining online language communities can be a great way to improve your speaking skills and connect with other language learners. Here are some steps you can follow to join online language communities:
- Research online language communities: Look for online language communities that cater to the language you want to learn. This could include forums, social media groups, or language learning apps.
- Join the community: Once you’ve found a community you’re interested in, join it. This might involve creating an account, providing your name and email address, or connecting through a social media platform.
- Introduce yourself: Introduce yourself to the community and let them know what language you’re learning and what your goals are. This can help you connect with other language learners who have similar interests.
- Participate in discussions: Participate in discussions and activities in the community. Share your thoughts and ideas, and ask questions to other members. This can help you practice your speaking skills and learn from other language learners.
- Find language exchange partners: Look for language exchange partners within the community. This can be a great way to practice speaking with someone who is also learning the language.
- Attend virtual events: Look for virtual events, such as language exchange meetups, that are organized by the community. This can be a great way to practice speaking with other language learners in a more structured setting.
Remember, participating in online language communities can be a great way to supplement your language learning. Make sure to practice speaking regularly, connect with other language learners, and engage with the community to get the most out of your experience.